Please login or register to get all features
Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
September 17, 2014, 01:35:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Free Classifieds, Auctions and Wanteds available now. Click HERE

Home   Help Advertise Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voyager trike kit  (Read 4008 times)
Arizona Wayne
Trade Count: (0)
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm thinking of putting 1 of these on my bike for the wife to enjoy.  Anybody here had one already with some thoughts to share ?

Gutsibits - The Moto Guzzi Spares Service
New, Used and Recon Spares & Accessories | Secure online ordering and rapid delivery worldwide
www.gutsibits.co.uk
Advertise Here
bigbikerrick
Guzzi Hero

73 Eldo 03 Aluminum,00Wing trike,98 Magna,84 Cal2a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Hey Wayne, what bike are you thinking of putting it on? I have ridden both a 1500 goldwing, and a honda VTX 1300 with voyager "trike " kits, and was not impressed, both were rattle traps, did not handle very well, and made for a rough ride. I went for a full DFT trike conversion instead. talk to the GWRRA goldwingers, many have tried, wasted $3500 or more dollars, sold the kit after a while at a great loss, and had to pop the bucks for the "real" trike conversion in the end. Maybe for just around town on a small bike it may be ok, but for highway use or serious touring, I would say dont wast your $ unless you can find a used one real cheap.  JMHO, YMMV, Where in AZ are you located, Wayne?     Rick.( in Douglas, and Sahuarita)

"You meet the coolest people on a Guzzi"
cwiseman
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
ReplyReply

My father bought a goldwing trike & just had to have me take it for a spin. What a death trap. Try going down a road & crossing a railroad track at an angle & see what you think of it.

There was a reason 3-wheelers were banned in the mid 80's

Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal ride 2007 Calvin
2-stroke street bike enthusiast
JJ
Guzzi Hero

Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 05:26:26 PM »
ReplyReply

A Beemer buddy of mine in Portland just bought this used Gold Wing trike so his wife could ride with him.  Smiley

I think it's an older LEHMAN conversion (?) Cool

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
Member: AMCA, BMWMOA, R.A.T.S., VJMC
'78 Honda GL1000 Gold Wing
'14 Victory Vision Tour
VMOL website:  www.vintagemotorcyc lesonline.com
Scottsdale, AZ
bigbikerrick
Guzzi Hero

73 Eldo 03 Aluminum,00Wing trike,98 Magna,84 Cal2a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 05:39:26 PM »
ReplyReply

my irs dft trike handles beautifully, cross rr tracks at any angle, wet or dry, no problem, i think it depends on what brand kit. and also how it was installed, some are done half assed, i had to re do a bunch of stuff on mine when i got it. some kits get out of whack, motor trike comes to mind, many heim joints that can loosen, wear, resulting play makes the rear end feel like rubber. the suspension on dfts and a couple other good ones look like a formula 1 car setup., i just got through riding the twisties on mine, buds on roadstar,honda aero 1100,and hd dresser could not keep up with me. i can corner it with rear tires squealing, drifting, but totally under control. my buds say it looks scary from behind, following my trike......what pussies! Grin rick

"You meet the coolest people on a Guzzi"
Marty_Guzzi
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »
ReplyReply

My wife's first bike was a Harley Sportster with a Voyager trike kit.  We were completely satisfied with it, as it did exactly what it was supposed to do.  I felt the value was satisfactory, and while others here think they were junk, I felt they were fine.

It beats the heck out of triking a bike cost wise, and at some point, you take the kit off and she runs on two wheels.

One key is to set them up correctly suspension wise, to minimize the rattle. 
Arizona Wayne
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 06:15:36 PM »
ReplyReply

Before yesterday I had heard nothing but bad stuff about the Voyager setup.  Yesterday I rode 1 on a 1300 Yamaha Venture cruiser.  I didn't ride it over any train tracks but I did try to make it squirelly on a straight road up to 70 mph to see if it had handling issues. Found none that couldn't be dealt with.  Maybe having ridden hacks helps.  It sure was a better ride than on a hack.  Grin  I heard no rattling and the front end felt solid.  But this rig is way too heavy for my tastes.  Since anyone can do their own mount, maybe that's where the weakness in handling comes from?  Huh  I've mounted sidecars so I know some about what is needed.

Give me all the good/bad thoughts  you can throw.   Grin

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:19:33 PM by Arizona Wayne » Logged
rocker59
Guzzi Hero

"diplomatico di moto"

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:20:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Since when does four wheels make a "trike"?

Rocker59 (aka Michael T.)
Aux Arcs (In Yonder Hills)
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100, 2004 Moto Guzzi LeMans Nero Corsa
"Dio risparmia Il Sud"
Arizona Wayne
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:48:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Since when does four wheels make a "trike"?

What would you prefer to call it ?  From a distance it looks like a trike. In many ways it acts like a trike.  I call it a poor man's trike.   Tongue

Here's another possibility

http://richlandimports.com/view/T0458
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:33:11 PM by Arizona Wayne » Logged
SidecarMike
Guzzi Hero

Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:15:24 PM »
ReplyReply

Something else to consider....nearly every sidecarist I know, myself included, started with a trike. 

When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sport Bike!
1999 EV, "The Italian Job"
'89 CBR, 1996 Aspencade
Marty_Guzzi
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 09:22:11 PM »
ReplyReply

If I were in your shoes, I would look long and hard for a good used one, then buy the mount from Voyager and you are good to go. 

My wife used hers for two years, and eventually, we called it the "Bubba Magnet".  It seemed like every bubba in the area came to look at the set-up, with most of them calling the kit "training wheels."  So be it.

But, it served to get my wife riding on her own, and eventually she wanted to try riding 2 wheels again, and we sold off the Sportster and Voyager Kit on E-bay, and got her a Kawasaki Vulcan.  All good.

Start looking on E-bay and craigslist. 

Arizona Wayne
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »
ReplyReply

If I were in your shoes, I would look long and hard for a good used one, then buy the mount from Voyager and you are good to go. 

My wife used hers for two years, and eventually, we called it the "Bubba Magnet".  It seemed like every bubba in the area came to look at the set-up, with most of them calling the kit "training wheels."  So be it.

But, it served to get my wife riding on her own, and eventually she wanted to try riding 2 wheels again, and we sold off the Sportster and Voyager Kit on E-bay, and got her a Kawasaki Vulcan.  All good.

Start looking on E-bay and craigslist. 

I've seen at least 1 Guzzi w/a voyager setup for the wife to ride.  At no time has anyone made snide remarks about her setup, including me.  Some times you just gotta consider the source.  Roll Eyes Whatever we do there's a possibility you will see us at a Guzzi Rally including the National this summer.   Wink
Arizona Wayne
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »
ReplyReply

Something else to consider....nearly every sidecarist I know, myself included, started with a trike. 

If that's the case, then I'm going backwards compared to you and your buddies.  We've already had more than 1 hack.   Wink
SidecarMike
Guzzi Hero

Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 09:47:12 PM »
ReplyReply

If that's the case, then I'm going backwards compared to you and your buddies.  We've already had more than 1 hack.   Wink
You'll be back.   Grin

When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sport Bike!
1999 EV, "The Italian Job"
'89 CBR, 1996 Aspencade
rodekyll
Guzzi Hero

I tried normal. That's 2 min I'll never get back

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 03:15:55 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't have first-hand experience but I did get a good chat with a BMW/venture couple that passed through Sitka this summer.  They had nothing but good to say about it.  She felt more secure with it, and he liked having her along, so it was a winner all around.

Marty_Guzzi
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 10:02:54 AM »
ReplyReply

At no time has anyone made snide remarks about her setup, including me.  Some times you just gotta consider the source.  Roll Eyes

The remarks really were not snide, but bewilderment, then awe.  Like "what is it?"  followed by "Oh, training wheels" all while trying to tuck in the holey stained t-shirt in over their beer bellys...  I thought it was funny, my wife didn't like the extra attention whereever she went. 
JJ
Guzzi Hero

Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Years ago, I took and completed the Sidecar Class in Seattle.   They used small displacement motorcycles (Suzuki 250 and Kawasaki 400 I believe) with light-weight sidecars.  Very interesting and I learned a lot.

Sidecars, set up properly, are VERY common in Europe and way cool!  Last year, I "drove" the 3-wheel Can-Am Spyder.  I personally did not like it at all....but I believe one could learn to drive this rig safely over time. Never been on a trike, but would like to try one someday.

I did ride in a 3-wheel JZR once, with a Guzzi motor, and that was more like a low-slung sports car.  Very cool, but "rough" ride as you are about 6" off the ground! Shocked Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy Wink

Not sure about driving a trike or that Spyder at 77 mph-80 mph and have to make a quick manuever (Huh) Roll Eyes Huh Shocked  That would be my main concern.

I was in Florida recently and did see more than a few of these trikes on the road, and mainly with Senior Citizens aboard - and all were smiling! Smiley.  They are very popular in Florida these days! Smiley

Maybe in my old age, I will get something like this (??)  These appeal to me:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
Member: AMCA, BMWMOA, R.A.T.S., VJMC
'78 Honda GL1000 Gold Wing
'14 Victory Vision Tour
VMOL website:  www.vintagemotorcyc lesonline.com
Scottsdale, AZ
oldmanjob
Trade Count: (+1)
Guzzi Hero

MGNOC 21633

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 11:59:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Had one on my Sportster. Had to make some mods for it to work properly, like getting up hills (dropped front sprocket from 28 to 26) Had to add oil cooler, add stage one big suck to increase power and add a 4 degree rake so that my wife could steer the blame thing. Don't forget that the driving wheel is in the middle rear and you are trailing two wheels to the side, easily gets stuck in soft dirt and sand and be careful of the humps down the middle of the road. Only advantage is that on and off is a snap going from trike to bike. This pic was before the mods and the added Mustang seat.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:01:21 PM by oldmanjob » Logged

A free lunch is only found in a mouse trap - Mickey M 
Dana NC
V7C
2003 100th Anniversary 883 Hugger Sportster (sold finally)
2006 Black Bonneville (790) residing in Bonnie Heaven.
John 14:6-7 KJV.
Arizona Wayne
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Well the wife wants the richland imports (Fla.) trike setup on our VX800, so right now that's the way we're going.

We ended up puttting a faux Tow-Pac trike kit on my Aprilia 500GT scooter.  Not only does it look good but she LOVES it and can cruise @ 70 mph getting 48 mpg easily no problem on the flat.  Cool   Now I'm looking for a trike kit for my `81 SP since my riding skills are not what they used to be.  Cry
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:35:19 PM by Arizona Wayne » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Advertise your products today. All proceeds go back into this website.
Your ad will show up over 10,000 times daily!
Advertise Here